We are excited to share the next generation of HipSpec with the world after soft launching it to some beta testers over the last few weeks.
The pervailing theme of our work has centered in on “ Quantified Product.” So much product and development team work is more like Play-Doh and less like Lego bricks. On first glance, one might assume that code and software are concrete, but the inputs to produce software in professional settings are far from it. At HipSpec, we think communication about building certain portions of software should be more like legos. It is easier to communicate, replicate functionality and carry out instructions in a modular lego type world than something that’s softer, fuzzier, more maliable like clay.
The general premise of this major version release is that most of the functionality that is built by software teams is a known, non-novel concept. However, we as an industry just don’t admit it and often reinvent the wheel. Frankly - we should embrace known solutions and paradigms, it can be liberating. As an industry we often miss the opportunity to look back and just repeat what has already worked so we can move on to the next problem or devote deeper thought to something novel.
A lot of functionality built by software teams is “boring”, foundational work - and that’s fine! Mundane infrastructure projects enable expanded use cases and new users to make use of services. Version 3 of HipSpec is aimed directly at quantifying solved product functionality and leveraging that quantified data to make alignment and transparency automatic for organizations. We want to bring you the confidence to graduate your Minimal Viable Products to Mature Valuable Products.
- Offering - a piece of software you’ll independently track the functionality of… think iOS app, Andoid app, internal tool X, etc.
- Deployment Targets - places the product will appear - Development Server, QA Server, Production Environment, etc.
- Story Spec - a standardized definition of a piece of software functionality
So, what’s new:
- Quantifying Offerings
- Integration mapping against specific Offerings
- Deployment Target Visibility (Via Kubernetes Integration - in early access)
- Github App Integration (Bot Creation & Guidance of Merge Requests)
- Github Actions
- Gitlab Pipeline Stage
- Cross Tool Issue + Merge Request Visibility
- Offering + Story Spec Tracking Numbers (in early access)
What’s been improved:
- Asana (Issues & Authentication)
- Clubhouse (Issues)
- Pivotal Tracker (Issues)
- Jira Cloud Integration (Issues)
- Github App Integration (Issues, Merge Request & Authentication)
- Gitlab Integration (Issues, Merge Request & Authentication)
- Trello (Issues)
Portfolio Activity at a Glance
Query Your Portfolio
Deep Dive Into Specific Functionality
Github App & Bot Facilitation
We’d love feedback on what’s next. Perhaps…
- Functional Maturity Scores
- Re-launching Persona Analytics & Industry Data
- contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your ideas.